- All students go to FI & to learn about curating
Loren Brichter (iPhone app boulder) (2)
- Smart is specialization. It's what you are passionate about
- That teacher is a mentor than a teacher.
Prof. Martha Farah (director of neuroscience center) (5)
Is there a single kind of smart?
- Refers to Howard Gardner
- What os smart is a semantic issues.
Happy Fernandez (art person) (4)
She, at heart, is an educator.
- Was taught that smart was measured academically.
It's a variety of talents
- How to see things that perhaps others don't see
- We value this (in what they're paid)
- Measurable smarts
- The ability to be a part of a team
Prof. Eddie Glaude (academic) (3)
What kind of smart are we taping about? What is the context?
- She's really smart, street smart, smart at some thing.
- It's about inquirey
- It's the way that we orient our selbes with the worldoo
- This is wrong
- This is right
- This is elegant
David Shenk (author) (1)
- It's not inate IQism.
Today we know that genes interact with the environment
- Genes express themselves through the interactions
- Intelligence is a process.
- Habitually applies what the learn (context)
- Means being able to learn, adapt, wisely, and to habitually apply what you learn (context)
- 4) genetically advantaged people are better at drawing in mor leafing resources.
3) all of us have the capacity to act intelligently when making choices.
We see that everywhere, in school and on the streets.
- Dewy talks about democratic intelligent.
- 5) are we being too theoretical / 3 rejects that
- 2) is it a bad thing to let kids excel in what they are good at. 4) says 'no'
- 4) it seems that students should learn through their personal intellegence.
- 5) students are too often taught that they are not smart. Stop the negative reinforcement.
- 1) research shows that open approach to smarts prompts smart
- 5) technology - itals a tool, not the goal.
3) students now take notes, but they're actuall on facebook
- It's good
- It's bad
- 2) tech is not the point. It's what you are using it to do.
- 1) what do we want to do and what's the tool.
- 4) says that tech has changed smarts! Memory & basic arithmetic are less important.
- 3) give an example of network smart with 13 year old who set up Haiti page on FB
- 3) we're teaching to the test or to grades or teaching to a consumers
- 1) smart is contextual - survival befor language.
- What's the difference between smart & success (educators should carefully define success in my class)
3) says the formal education seems to make it it's job to squeeze the creative juices out of Learner.
4) smart is a function of the brain - but is not to the exclusion of environment.
- Refers to research that says that even in rats intelligence come from their rearing.
- Brilliance can be found or exposed anywhere.