- Not happening regularly yet!
- Files & Remote accessing of computers
- Ported over from MIT
- 3 Months later, e-mail consitutes 75% of Internet backbone
- The kicker was the "Reply All" button
- Group Capabilities possible for a while
Groups are conservative -- it needs to be available to everyone
- It's when technology becomes boring that the social effects become interesting
When does the group effect become greater than the aggregated individual actions?
A Ladder is Required
- Three Unites
- Reverses the old order of sharing
- Use to be "Congregate" and then "Share"
- Now you "Share" and then "Aggregate"
- Sharing becomes the platform for coordination instead of reverse
- Communities of Practice
- People started posting High Dynamic Range photographs on Flickr
- People started seeing the photos posted on Flirkr and asked, "How did you do that?"
- Photographers so pleased to be noticed and asked would create amazing tutorials.
- Every URL is a latent community
- Aegisub (Anime Fan Sub)
- Started writing software for themselves that would subtitle Japanese Anime that they thought should be available in the U.S.
- Required team work because it required specialization
- Fixing a market failure
- When Anime owner started doing their own dubbing, Aegisub took theirs down.
- Anime Market has opened up
- Need to fix something
- Story One
- 1999 NWA Plane lands in Detroit without a Gate, landed 2:45PM
- finally a passengert calls 911 to get the CEO of the company
- Passenger is called up by the pilot -- expecting to be disciplined.
- "Give me the number"
- Pilot calls CEO
- Finall get into a gate 9:30PM
- Media has a field day
- Nothing happens
- Another Plane landed in Dallas (AA)
- Run out of food, toilet is backed up
- Eight hours later, they get the gate
- New York state writes a passenger's bill of rights -- with three major airports
- What was different
- Kate Hanni, real estate agent is pissed
- Goes home and starts researching similar situation
- she starts to comment on the stories
- At the end of her comments she adds, if you were on this flight, contact me.
- After a few days she's setting up a coalition of fliers rights.
- With a petition
- Congress watered it down, but not in NY State
- Publishing is for acting...
- Story Two (Flash Mobs)
- Mocking Collaborative Gatherings in New York & other cities
- The intent was to prove that today's networked hipsters could be convinced to do anything just to shock the bourgeoisie
- Black clad police comes out and drags the kids out of the streets
- It had been made illegal to meet in groups in October Square
- Became a successful tool for protest because the communication was happening via the network
- The Regime couldn't stop the protests, because the groups formed in the square. When protesters entered, they were alone individuals. But they came to gather, because of the networks...
- Plus practice was recorded because the students had cameras
- What does this mean?
- Tools used for entertainment in high freedom environment
- Tools are seriously innovatively used in low freedom environment
- Story Three
- 2004 in Pelarmo Italy
- Stickers posted saying that "People who pay money to mafia is without dignity"
- Set up a web site where businesses can stand up in mass and say we won't pay.
- The people most effected was the people of Pelarmo
- They started only patronizing businesses that promised not to pay