Posted on December 11th, 2012 in Featured | 12 Comments »
Within XMind, markers stand for special meaning of priority, percentage complete, passion and so on. The appropriate use of marker can beautify mind map, improve the communication efficiency and simplify your mind map.
Within XMind, markers can be added into mind map by flexible operations. Actually, there are 3 different ways for adding markers.
(Tips: we recommend you not to add more than 3 markers into one topic)
- Marker View
1. Open the marker view firstly by clicking “View- Marker”.
2. Drag the target marker to the particular topic. Or select the particular topics and click the target marker.
- Right clicking
Right clicking on the target topic and choose the “Markers” option for selecting the particular marker.
- Short cut
By pressing short cut of “Ctrl + 1“, you can add the first priority marker into the selected topics quickly.
(Tips: the number can range from 1 to 6 and it will stand for the corresponding priority)
Within XMind, the added markers can be deleted by 2 different approaches.
- Right clicking
Right clicking on the target marker and choose the “Delete” option.
- Delete button
Click on the target marker. Move the mouse and click on the target again. After these operations, you’ve selected the marker. Press the “Delete” button can delete the marker immediately.
(For each marker group, users can only add one marker of it into one topic)
Add your own markers
XMind has integrated many markers for expressing various meanings in advance. At the same time, it offers you the approach to add your own markers into XMind for special application context. With the added markers, you can design mind maps more effectively and precisely.
- Open the “Marker Preference” window by clicking: ”Edit- Preferences- Mind Map- Markers”.
- In the upper part of the window, click the “Add” button and a new marker group can be created immediately.
(Tips: Selecting the marker group and clicking the “remove” button can delete the marker group and its markers.)
- Select the marker group and type directly for renaming it.
(Tips: The new name can not be displayed directly in the marker view, unless restarting marker view.)
- Select one marker group and click the “add” button in the markers part.
- Within the pop up window, you can select markers and XMind will import them into the selected marker group immediately.
Import your own markers
Maybe you’ve thought the above operations is troublesome. Actually, XMind can also import your own markers by marker package and file, which may makes your work easier.
- Open the “Import Markers” window by clicking “File-Import-Marker Package-Next“.
- For option of “From File”, you can enter a path of a “marker package”. For the other option of “From Directory”, you can enter a path of a folder that contains image files.
- Click the “Finish” button and the target marker will be imported immediately.
Sometimes, you may want to share your markers to friends or copy the markers to another computer. For these situations, XMind offer you the approach to export your own marker as a marker package.
- Open the “Export Markers” window by clicking “File-Export-Marker Package“.
- Select one marker group in the window and click the “Browse” button to find the target path.
- Click the “Finish” button, XMind will export the marker group as a marker package in the target file.
Marker package for you
Here, I’ve prepared 3 marker packages for you. Click the links and download them. Try to import your own marker yourself.
(Tips: they are marker package, so you may import them by method of “import your own markers”)